• Show
Clear All

Krakow by DocentX (2009)

Krakow

Photos taken in May 2009.

Matejko square

New Town

- city bikes

Like bike-sharing systems installed in recent years in Barcelona, Rome, Vienna, Lyon and, Paris, BikeOne is an almost-free bike rental service that users can subscribe to via Internet. They can then check in and check out bikes from special automatically locking racks positioned at strategic locations around town.

Apartment buildings within the New Town area

- fast tram underground stop (Krakow's metro )

Krakow Fast Tram (KST) is a premetro/tram system in Krakow connecting Northern and Southern parts of the city. The tunel and the two underground stations were opened in December 2008.

Mogilskie rondabout - one of the most important crossroads in the city.
    On some of the photos you can see the ruins of 'Lubicz' fort.

- Cracovia Business Center - const started in 70's, modernized in 90's. Hight: 105 meters

- 'Skeletor'

The official name of this building was NOT, but people in Krakow call it "Szkieletor" (Skeletor). The construction started in 1975 but was abandoned in 1979 because of the economic crisis.

A change however is in the making. Verity Development won the tender for the building and since then Verity have begun planning Skeletor?s resurrection. The concept being to renovate the existing tower, whose structure is architecturally sound, and to add two new wings on either side of the skyscraper.

It is hoped that it will be completed by 2012, in time for the European Championships.

The area between the Mogilskie rondabout and the Train station

-Krakow University of Economics

Krakow's Opera

The historical institution of the Krakow Opera, dating back to the 17th century, has been revamped and in late 2008 moved into its brand new location on Lubicz Street.

Strzelecki park

The train station

Some other part of the Krakow's downtown

The Old Town

- small market square

- Florianska street

- The Old Town Square

- Jagiellonian University (second oldest (after Prague) in this part of Europe)

- Copernicus monument

- John Paul II monument

- Kanonicza street

Wawel castle

Kazimierz (Jewish) district

Thanx, DocentX, very nice city!
    Unfortunately, I never was in Krakow. I hope, in this year there will be my first visit

p.s. system of a tram and tram stops well looks
    Paskutinis taisė oranger; 2009.05.25, 13:46.

Comment

Great photos of a very beautiful city. I can see two things which we need in Vilnius - that city bike system and tram with underground stops in the city center.

Comment

I remember when I have visited Krakow 3 years ago, underground tram line near the train station was under construction , nice to see it completed. Vilnius really lacks such transport system

Comment

Was in Krakow few years ago, beautiful city and i spent some really nice time in it

Comment

Parašė Aštrusis_dantis Rodyti pranešimą
            Was in Krakow few years ago, beautiful city and i spent some really nice time in it
            Did you look for some traces of common Polish-Lithuanian history ?

Comment

Nice foto, nice city. Maybe You can tell what it is?

Comment

Parašė DocentX Rodyti pranešimą
                Did you look for some traces of common Polish-Lithuanian history ?
                I know I did a year or soa ago when I had the pleasure of visiting Krakow. Many of the old buildings bare a Grand Duchy of Lithuania coat of arms, not so visible in the photo but if I remember correctly there is one up on this building: (4th out of 5 going from the left I think..)

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Parašė GigaMan Rodyti pranešimą

Atvaizdas
                  This is a tourist attraction that was lunched this year - an observation baloon for tourists

From a recent article:

"After more than a year of waiting the private company has finally completed all needed permissions, and people in Krakow can enjoy.. the BALOON FLIGHTS.

Krakow as the first city in Poland, and one of few in Europe features regular baloon experience.
                  It is actually not the full flight, but moving up and down, the baloon stays 150 m above the ground for about 10 min, and the pleasure costs 35 zl ( $10 ) adult with children and senior discounts.
                  The starting point is on Vistula river boulevards between bridge Grunwaldzki and church 'Skałka'."

Comment

Parašė GigaMan Rodyti pranešimą

Atvaizdas
                    This is here:

Comment

Krakow is it a nice place to visit thank you for you pictures!

Comment

puikiai prikelta sena tema ir puiki anglu kalba, gerbiamasis

Comment

Working...
                        X