Barnaul freezed and deserted after NY celebrating :D

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

Barnaul freezed and deserted after NY celebrating :D

The photos were taken in the 2nd and 4th January. Wow here is 2007 already! We're living in the future! Happy New Year!

It's always nice to walk around the city with camera. I didn't do it long time already, because of intensive work last time before the Christmas holidays. Here are the photos of Barnaul's parts rarelly seen...

So, January 2, it was cold outside apprx -17C, so the city looked freezed and deserted (well because of celebrating also )

One of the first renovated Soviet buildings in Barnaul, former plant management, now offices, renovated in 2000.

I would say it is the first real commercial office building in my city, built in 1996.

I told you about Ob Boulevard project in the thread about Projects in Barnaul. Here are the wooden huts on the place where the Boulevard have to begin...

Anastasia - the tallest building in Barnaul, didn't complete yet...

New city grows replacing the old wooden houses, it's picturesque - the highrises among of the huts

The commieblocks districts getting new additions also...

These huts have no chance to survive...

... they're located within the rapid developing area

This is the "elite" red brick district of the 90's, here is nice to walk around especially because locating near the old wooden houses area.

XIX century old wooden houses... some of them even from XVIII century.

The only sign of the XXI century is the fast driving Lexus.

Calm old town :cool:

The first "skyscraper" in Barnaul, built before revoltion, the tallest building those days.

January 4

Now we walk to another district with other spirit - stalinism and postmodern

One of the central square

Here is the Soviet spirit, the building was a House of Culture of one of the plant, now isn't using. There are the plans to reconstruct it to a theatre, neverthless it's a sight of the 30's...

local cafe network - QQ, too expensive for Barnaul though, but nice.

I love the house, it reminds me some Latinamerican, maybe because of colours?

Many interesting houses in the constructivism style now in decay... the district is a bit far from the central streets, so there are not many attention on them. I think it could be pretty expensive apartments buildings if they will reconstructed.

some sepia...

This is scare... but the house is under reconstruction. One of the first constructivism buildings in Barnaul, built in 1932.

Some new buildings here appears.

Another example of constructivism, looks like the building is neglected, it will pity if we lost it...

Enough of sadness, this area gets new buildings also, for example like this, called Olymp club-style apartments, so prestigiousness if the area is rising.

Back to central streets...

I like the building, it's too elegance and light for the stalin architecture, but many of them are such in Barnaul.

My favourite cafe where I like to take a dinner...

Always forget to take a pic of doubledeckers in Barnaul
    Most impressive is a bus with huge British flag on it, the Barnaul English Pub ads, but now is an ordinary bus
    Paskutinis taisė Siberian; 2007.01.05, 10:33.

So you guys still have a decent winter weather there?
    Something even Vilnius didn't have this year so far (it normally does...)... not to mention London all soaked by rain.

Thanks for the views of the freezing Siberia

Comment

Well done, Sib!

These houses should be put under state protection and well renovated- just look at this wooden architecture http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/P1040477.jpg
      esp. this green building on the left: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/P1040482.jpg

Those functionalist (constructivism ) buoldings look very interesting- hope they are getting some care soon.

Kaip po dykumą blaškiausi

Comment

Parašė vytauc Rodyti pranešimą
        Well done, Sib!

These houses should be put under state protection and well renovated- just look at this wooden architecture http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/P1040477.jpg
        esp. this green building on the left: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/P1040482.jpg
        Thanks!

I agree, these buildings should be under state protection. And probably they are already under protection. I wanted to say this old town almost free from the new construction especially from the highrises... this means that city authority didn't allow to build here in the way of Moscow or Yekaterinburg or Saratov, where the new glassy towers rising where they wish, among of the old houses and mansions. But as everywhere here is lack financing of renovation. I think they could form nice old town, restore some hotels and other houses burned in the great fire of 1917, they could restore also churches and cathedrals demolished in the 30's.. so the historical centre of Barnaul could be quite nice. And the areas with stalinist architecture could be good addition.

Parašė John Rodyti pranešimą
        So you guys still have a decent winter weather there?
        Something even Vilnius didn't have this year so far (it normally does...)... not to mention London all soaked by rain.

Thanks for the views of the freezing Siberia
        You know, we had late winter also. Now -5C, it's warmer than usual.

Comment

Awesome Siberian!

I just love your hometown. I've always had great affinity for Asia, and Barnaul nicely combines Russian and East Asian city-feel. Those old wooden huts are great. So atmospheric. I hope there are not any stupid municipal politicians in Barnaul, who would take those old houses down. Here in Finland huge numbers of old buildings were demolished in the 60s, and now people want them back. Of course what was done can't be undone. Anyhow your city looks great, and as for the weather, well, it's far crappier here in Finland presently.

Thanks for the thread!

Comment

What makes you think it looks like an East Asian (Korean, Chinese, Japanese...) city?
            It looks very "Russian" to me

Comment

Parašė Molo Rodyti pranešimą
              Awesome Siberian!

I just love your hometown. I've always had great affinity for Asia, and Barnaul nicely combines Russian and East Asian city-feel. Those old wooden huts are great. So atmospheric. I hope there are not any stupid municipal politicians in Barnaul, who would take those old houses down. Here in Finland huge numbers of old buildings were demolished in the 60s, and now people want them back. Of course what was done can't be undone. Anyhow your city looks great, and as for the weather, well, it's far crappier here in Finland presently.

Thanks for the thread!
              Thanks, Molo for the nice words! But for me is a riddle still how come Barnaul looks Asian?? Of course it doesn't look western European, but not Asian for sure Many historical areas were projected in St. Petersburg (pre-revolutionary) and in Leningrad (the Sovet times).

About wooden houses, I agree the most important (historical) areas should be in safe (I hope the municipality will keep todays politics), another areas should be replaced by the new buildings, because not necessary to keep villages within the city.
              Paskutinis taisė Siberian; 2007.01.07, 09:09.

Comment

Some new photos

This is interesting picture from the times of Social realism I believe, it's the 30's. True rarity.

another house from the 30's, one of the biggest in the times.

did you miss snow? falling rime...

modern Barnaul architecture

picturesque

a mansion from the XIX century

red bricks were always popular in Barnaul

another wooden houses, not in best condition, but still stand

a new building in the old district... thank god, they don't build highrises here. And such buildings didn't break the atmosphere of the old town

in a yard

Polzunov's Street
                This house with turret is one of the oldest survived house in Barnaul - from the XVIII century.

this is true classicism, from the begin of the XIX century, was built by a learner of Carl Rossi! This house stand on the Demidovskaya Square - the one survived ensemble from the XIX century.

Anastasia appears in the old town

When there is strong freeze and no wind - the typical situation is such smoke over the city.

Behind the red brick house you may see new business centre, where the company where I'm work will move soon.

Comment

Sorry, its scary town :/ I think... But wooden houses is Nice

Comment

Parašė Hunte-r Rodyti pranešimą
                    Sorry, its scary town :/ I think... But wooden houses is Nice
                    I think you have a prejudication, hasty conclusion.
                    Notice the weather is really cold, and most of the cities you know could looks like this in winter.
                    Cheers.

Comment

Wow this town looks quite interesting. It would be interesting to explore it (in summer, of course, winters are too cold there).
                      http://m.lrytas.lt/-1308629241130735...ms-belieka.htm

Comment

Parašė music Rodyti pranešimą
                        Wow this town looks quite interesting. It would be interesting to explore it (in summer, of course, winters are too cold there).
                        Sure, in summer Barnaul quite pleasant.
                        You may look at previous page in this section for autumn and summer pics of my city

Comment

And HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too, Siberian! And thank you very much for this wonderful walking thread! Beautifully done, and very charming.

As always I'm impressed with the beautiful colors. Also, I really like most of Barnaul's modern buildings because they are not of the flat, glassy boxy style but instead offer a great deal of variation and charm because of the added visual interest.

True, those small wooden houses can't survive in the middle of town forever ... I didn't realize they are on the site of the new Ob Boulevard project though. I think there is a similar district of dilapidated old wooden houses in central Vilnius that is likewise slated for demolition. I guess they just can't continue to exist, at least not on such prime real estate.

But it's very important that other wooden beauties in other parts of town are preserved. I think most, if not all of us, agree on this, and you show several lovely examples.

And finally: say Hi to Anastasia for me!
                          Originally Posted by

Comment

Working...
                          X