First highrises proposed for Daugavpils

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

First highrises proposed for Daugavpils

Local architects from Daugavpils "Marta Plus" together with local developers have proposed a group of highrises near centre of Daugavpils. It includes apartment buildings - 21 and 18 floors high and office building. Public hearings on-going now until the middle of May.

As commentators explain, construction boom is starting in Daugavpils - much has been built but a lot more is under way. There are other highrise proposals as well.

Nice lookin' cluster Daugavpils... who would have thought...
    Kaip po dykumą blaškiausi

Comment

Nice buildings
      Probably soon the boom will start in smaller Latvian cities too.
      Vilnius? Kaunas?? Klaipėda!!!

Comment

Really impressive as for a city of ~100 000 people. There are no such scale projects in Lithuanian cities of even bigger size.

Comment

Nice looking buildings, especially the black one on the left side. Honest to god, I originally read Edd's post a bit wrong and thought it was a city of ~10 000 people, and I was like wtf.
          Paskutinis taisė satama; 2006.04.25, 19:52.

Comment

Parašė satama
            Nice looking buildings, especially the black one on the right side. Honest to god, I originally read Edd's post a bit wrong and thought it was a city of ~10 000 people, and I was like wtf.
            Still, great plans even for a town of 100k pop. Looks very promising!

Comment

Daugavpils is not rich city. But they are proud of their city and it shows. Somehow most Latvians (here I mean nationality) don't know much about it - because Daugavpils is predominantly Russian city and most Latvians don't have relatives or friends there. But nearly everyone who visits the city, is pleasantly surprised. City is not really beautiful - there are lots of places in Latvia which are more beautiful. But Daugavpils has many charming places, it has got very interesting Russian Staroveri architecture (including those blue painted wooden houses with nice ornaments - you see them a lot in Russia, but in Daugavpils they look better very often), Art Nouveau, Functionalism, lots of Postmodern... and recently it is getting lots of good modern architecture.

For me Daugavpils seems to be like an positive experiment - what comes out of predominantly Russian city (here most Russians are really local people, with "roots") inside true market economy, inside EU.
              Other characteristics of city - very kind and open people. Unusually high number of good looking girls even if compared with Riga They've got very good university too (two universities). In fact the city is very multicultural - it has got two "kinds" of Russians - Orthodox and Staroveri (they are almost like two nations), biggest Polish group in Latvia, Latgallians (Latvians with another dialect, they are almost another nation too), Latvians. Seems, they live together quite well, better than in Riga or Liepaja.

Some pictures from City Website:

There are a bit more than hundred of Art Nouveau buildings in Daugavpils:

Theater:

Hotel "Latgola"

A lot of new architecture has been built recently:

Ice hockey hall

University of Baltic Russians - new part

Churches

One smaller square in Centrum. I have noticed that they care a lot about their greenery:

Dubrovin sad

Daugava river in springtime:

Largest fortress in Baltics should not be fogotten:
              Paskutinis taisė Gatis; 2006.04.25, 21:24.

Comment

Thank you, Gati, for this wonderful illustrated introduction to Daugavpils!

It seems to be quite a special city, and it's good to hear of the projects you show above.
                Originally Posted by

Comment

Parašė Gatis
                  Unusually high number of good looking girls even if compared with Riga
                  That sounds interesting! I love multicultural places!

Thanks for the pictures, they are all very nice, but since they are from the official website it's normal to show the good side of the town... it would be great to see some pics taken by you or other Latvians here on the forum. Anyway it really looks clean and "well kept", I thought it was an uglier and poorer place, but it's great to read that different kind of Russians, Latvians and Poles all live well together there, that's a big advantage, and multicultural towns are always great (not only for girls! )

Comment

Nice project for a small city! The color decision is similar to proposed office complex here in Barnaul!

Parašė Gatis
                    Unusually high number of good looking girls even if compared with Riga
                    No wonder! There is predominant Russian population in Daugavpils

Comment

Yes, Siberian, but I have been in many Russian cities (some 20 at least), there are lots of nice girls but Daugavpils still is a bit special in this sense

Some more renderings of these highrises. Project has been named 'Skyline', investment - 15 mio EUR.

View when entering the centre from Riga side. You can see that this place before developing this project lacks any identity - and architects are free to make new "gates" of Centre.

Construction will start in this year and should end in next.

Comment

Yes, that does look good! :okay:

But I guess the project would look even better if there were another one on the other side of the street to balance it.
                        Originally Posted by

Comment

Daugavpils looks very pleasant from the pictures you posted Gatis, its so familiar as if I've already been there... (I wonder why then ) . Seriously if I couldnt come back to Lithuania, I would go to Latvia. Oh and the development looks really nice, its good that the smaller cities are keeping up . Except the name could have been more original... But who am I to say; we named our tallest building Europa .

Comment

Very very nice

I'd like to visit Daugavpils one day. My grandfather lives just 10-15 km from the Latvian border, and to reach him I usually drive through Zarasai, which means that a trip to Daugavpils would mean just a ~30 km detour for me

Comment

Working...
                            X