Milledgeville, Georgia USA

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

Milledgeville, Georgia USA

The small city of Milledgeville in central Georgia was the site of the State capital before the seat of government was transferred to Atlanta. This is "Gone with the Wind" country.

We went there on a spring excursion from Macon (not far away) with friends in late March. Our prime destination was the very fine arboretum, and we took a quick tour of the city afterwards.

Here is the Governor's Mansion:

A villa near the arboretum, which lies at the edge of town:

The same villa from a different perspective:

And two homes close to the Governor's Mansion in the center of town:

As you can see, columns and porticos or covered porches are a feature in all these buildings. With the temperatures in that part of the world, the creation of a cool, shady place is a necessity for any house.

My husband took these photos. I'm brand new at posting picture threads, so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Can you see the pictures? Do they load too slowly? Any other feedback?

BIG EDIT almost 2 years later:

YAY! I finally managed to put the pictures back into this thread!
    Paskutinis taisė Whose Homepage; 2007.03.24, 04:32.
    Originally Posted by

No pictures visible

EDITED> They already work for me too and they are freat :yes:
    Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Everything ok with the pictures. It's very nice. I realy like that kind of the US of A

Comment

Aciu, gents! That pleases me.

Liutass, now that I'm getting a bit used to how to do this, I'll show you some more cities & buildings later.
        Originally Posted by

Comment

thanks, WH, nice to see american cities here That's really cool And you are the only one at the moment, who can present it lively Really happy to see it.

Comment

beautiful!!! knowing what a temperature you have there - I become really anvious

WH, I would like to see some pictures from your home town, Berkeley

Prie ruso man buvo geriau

Comment

Congrats with your first photo thread, WH.
              Very beautiful place!

Comment

Nice thread, WH, thanks
                Some nice mansions you've got there.
                You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Comment

Parašė Whose Homepage
                  My husband took these photos. I'm brand new at posting picture threads, so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Can you see the pictures? Do they load too slowly? Any other feedback?
                  Everything is OK. It loads quite fast for me and ofcourse I see the photos. Those buildings look good, it's nice to look at "sunny photos" when it is raining over here.

Comment

Thanks WH! Very nice pictures, i hope you will post much more of them?

Comment

Nice pics
                      I Like that American fence in the first photo. It`s lovely..

Comment

Thanks for all your positive reactions, guys!

Nedai!

True! As Mantaz will be able to confirm from his own experience, Georgia gets incredibly (almost unbearably) hot in summer. Over 30 degrees Celsius and over 90% humidity!

That's one of the reasons why we live here and not in Georgia. We've had a rather chilly and wet spring this year. It's barely 15C & cloudy, and it should be at least 20 degrees and sunny!

These are all the photos of Milledgeville I have. There are also a few of Macon, my husband's home town, which I'll show you later.

AND!!!! Yes, I'll make a Berkeley thread, too.
                        Originally Posted by

Comment

nice stuff, but I wonder how old these houses are...

Comment

Of course they're not as old as the buildings in Old Vilnius, but if you're thinking Disneyland, you're dead wrong. All buildings are well over 100 years old.
                            Originally Posted by

Comment

/ it's funny you say this, since I actually really liked the buildings... And I wasn't thinking of Disneyland. But since you brought it up - if these buildings would've been built in the seventies, I'd definitely call them Disneyland Architecture. I guess then I wouldn't be DEAD wrong

Comment

Sorry, PS. I must have felt some sarcasm in your earlier question that wasn't really there. And indeed, this is genuine old stuff, indeed quite old for American standards.

And I'm glad to hear you say you find the buildings nice ... we liked them, too.
                                Originally Posted by

Comment

Great city WH, and a great first time photo thread!

A lot of old and beautiful historic buildings though they look a bit abonded! But thats what it should be!

And remember to thanx your husband from all here, he took some fabulous shots!

Comment

Tack, Christian!

I don't think any of these buildings are abandoned, though. While we were taking the photos of the Governor's Mansion a young man came out. He identified himself as the curator of the place, announced some plans and events for the building, and invited us back.

I think all the other buildings are inhabited, although the first one (near the Arboretum) *may* serve more ceremonial functions, like the Governor's Mantion.

You're really sweet to notice that this is my first photo thread in the cyberworld, Christian! I'll surely pass on to my husband your appreciation of his shots.
                                    Originally Posted by

Comment

Parašė WH
                                      Tack, Christian!
                                      Takk we are looking forward to get some more pictures from your home town

Prie ruso man buvo geriau

Comment

Takk and aciu then, alonso!

Seems I can't get anything right.

But, as far as "more pictures from [my] home town are concerned, let me set you straight: Milledgeville is near the city where my husband grew up ... both are in Georgia, in the Southeast of the United States. We live in Berkeley, California, on the West Coast. I haven't even started showing pictures yet. But let me assure you: one fine day they'll start coming!

EDIT:

@Christian: takk! I passed your praise for his photos on to my husband.
                                        Originally Posted by

Comment

Working...
                                        X