St. Petersburg, Aug 2006 [part 1] - classic views, Nevsky, St. Isaac's etc

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

St. Petersburg, Aug 2006 [part 1] - classic views, Nevsky, St. Isaac's etc

This august I went on vacation to St. Petersburg. This was my first visit to this incredible city!
    Part one is about classic places and views of the city!

St. Peter and Paul Cathedral

Summer garden

Fontanka River

Buildings along the Fontanka’s Embankment

A building at Sadovaya Str.

This building looks gothic…

Sadovaya and Voznesensky Avenue crossroad (St. Isaac’s in the background)

A church at Kryukov Canal

The Mariinsky Theatre

Moyka River

The square near the St. Isaac’s Cathedral

St. Isaac’s Cathedral

The views of the city from the cathedral …

Looking to the west

Highrises of Vasilievsky Island

The Neva River

The Admiralty, Peter and Paul Cathedral and the new fountain from the Neva

The Palace Square

Looking to the east

The monument to Peter the Great

University Embankment

Winter canal

Photographing Petropavlovsky…

The Palace Square

Winter Palace

The Alexander Column

Moyka River

Church of the Savior on Blood

There are many tourists in St. Petersburg, but especially many tourists from Japan, Italy and German

The Art Square, monument to Pushkin and the Russian Museum in the background

Anichkov’s Bridge

Lomonosova Street

A clothes shop near the Gostiny Dvor

The Admiralty

The next photos are about the Nevsky Avenue, most famous street of St. Petersburg

Former Singer Building

An Armenian church

Revolutionary babushka’s

That’s all for now

The next thread will be about less famous parts of the city

Thanks for this wonderul thread.

Wow, well I think I will have to pay a visit for this wonderful city The photos look wonderful - it seems you were lucky with the weather.

And I would like to have a "chat" with these babushka's. Admiring Stalin (or STILL admiring Stalin, I should say) is why I don't like today's Russia. It seems to me that some people are either very dumb or are manipualted very good, because they still think Stalin was a god. I don't think it is possible to see an old woman in Germany or Austria with a poster praising Hitler. And because I think that Stalin was even worse that Hitler was- I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY some people in Russia still praise Stalin. Both of them were living evils, why praise one and hate another one?

BlogasSeulas 2009Honkongas 2012Bankokas 2012

Comment

Yes, the weather was great!

As for the babushkas... They're just old and has no mind already, anyway its fun to see their naive transparants. Why some people in our country still think that Stalin is great man, it's the question not to me...

Comment

A bunch of great pics of a great city

Thanks, Siberian, we'll wait for more
        Kaip po dykumą blaškiausi

Comment

Great phototour through a great city. I hope to visit it one day
          Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Thnx, Siberian!
            Great views, great city!
            But not many tourists in the streets...

Comment

Great tour and nice pictures.

IT. Sicilija
              PT. 11 dienų Portugalijos keliais
              LT. Kaunas 2009.01.04

Comment

Parašė Siberian Rodyti pranešimą
                Yes, the weather was great!

As for the babushkas... They're just old and has no mind already, anyway its fun to see their naive transparants. Why some people in our country still think that Stalin is great man, it's the question not to me...
                I understand it is a hard question to be answered. But you must have your opinion. So, what is your personal opinion about Stalin. What the majority of people think about him and his regime?

It is very interesting for me, because I want to know as much as possible about Russia and it's people. Russia is the biggest and most powerful Lithuania's neighbour after all...
                BlogasSeulas 2009Honkongas 2012Bankokas 2012

Comment

Parašė Berliner Rodyti pranešimą
                  I understand it is a hard question to be answered. But you must have your opinion. So, what is your personal opinion about Stalin. What the majority of people think about him and his regime?
                  Of course I have! I think the Stalin's regime was one of most terrible periods of Russian history, millions of people was killed, it was the war against self nation. Btw, Stalin was not a Russian... his real last name was Džugašvili.

Comment

I wonder how do Georgians look at Stalin today
                    Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Mantaz, please don't turn thread about St. Petersburg to the thread about Stalin

Comment

Ok, sorry
                        Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Parašė Siberian Rodyti pranešimą
                          Btw, Stalin was not a Russian... his real last name was Džugašvili.
                          Yes, but Stalin's politic was a politic of Russia, not Georgia...

Comment

Parašė oranger Rodyti pranešimą
                            Yes, but Stalin's politic was a politic of Russia, not Georgia...
                            I think it's wrong to call Stalin as "politic", it was personal dictatorship. People of Russia didn't vote for him in contrast Hitler in Germany...

Comment

Georgians for the most part dislike Stalin because he had little affection for the land of his birth, however as the most famous Georgian of all time he does have something of the status of a national icon. If I saw those babushkas I would likely spit at them, just like I spat on Stalin's grave when I visited it.

However, Siberian is quite right that this thread shouldn't be about Stalin - these are lovely photos and I am glad to find them as I lost all my photos of St Pete which is very annoying.

@Mantaz: There's nothing to stop you going to St Petersburg - it couldn't be easier with direct trains going straight from Vilnius - and they're cheap too! The only complicated bit is getting a Russian visa. With such beautiful and historically-rich cities like St Pete's and Moscow, I can't understand why Russians make it so difficult for people to get into their country!

Comment

Parašė Svajoklis Rodyti pranešimą
                                @Mantaz: There's nothing to stop you going to St Petersburg - it couldn't be easier with direct trains going straight from Vilnius - and they're cheap too! The only complicated bit is getting a Russian visa. With such beautiful and historically-rich cities like St Pete's and Moscow, I can't understand why Russians make it so difficult for people to get into their country!
                                Yes, but there are usually other stops like money, time, accomodation etc.
                                Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Wow — what a great photothread! Thanks Siberian. The city looks superb and brighter, more colorful than 3 years ago when I was visiting. One thing I found frustrating was trying to pass as a local when purchasing tickets to museums, theatre, and the transportation. Local price was a mere fraction of the tourist price but I wasn't always successful in masking the non-native accent. Also, opening hours/accessibility to the Tsarskoye selo and the amber room were totally different from the Lonely Planet guide. My favorite part was the ride on the hydrophoil to/from Peterhoff! Thanks once again for sharing your great photos!

Comment

Great pictures and great city!
                                    Wher are pictures of Aurora btw?

Comment

Wonderful images of this huge city, Siberian! I enjoyed the tour a lot, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Parašė El_Greco Rodyti pranešimą
                                        Great pictures and great city!
                                        Wher are pictures of Aurora btw?
                                        In the next thread... coming soon
                                        The next thread will be more atmospheric

Parašė Varlamas
                                        My favorite part was the ride on the hydrophoil to/from Peterhoff!
                                        Yes, I liked it too!

Comment

Working...
                                        X