Biysk - The city you have never seen [10 Mbytes!]

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

Biysk - The city you have never seen [10 Mbytes!]

Biysk is the city in Altai Krai located 160 km southeast of Barnaul. It is the 2nd largest city in Altai Krai with population 230 thousand people. There is very great nature around the city. The pine forests, the Biya and Katun Rivers forming the Ob River near the city, Altai Mountains less than 100 km south of Biysk etc.
    Unfortunately Biysk is very underrated and has depressing economy. There is no new constructions almost, very small salaries. But there is well kept pre-revolutionary old town with traditional siberian merchants architecture! So let's begin!

The main street of Biysk builds up by the typical soviet buildings. City Administration building

Main street’s boulevard with the tumble-down old Cathedral

Recently built Sberbank Building

Fresh green and the stone

The firs

The park near the Biya River shore

The bridge, the tram and the summer cafe

The bridge over the Biya River

Some wealthy houses at the river’s shore

The view on the old town.

Museum of regional

The Biysk Drama Theatre

former Uspenskaya Street (now Sovetskaya )

Red brick was very popular in the XIX-begin of XX centuries…

Some old building needs the renovation

The cannon in the old town’s park

The Assumption Cathedral

Another ruined building

Another park

Art deco building

Some modern red bricks

And old

The tram

Biysk is the city of the worst commiblocks I ever seen

Almost no constructions in the city

But the shopping malls are opening

My 2 hour walking ends with heavy shower

Thanks for the tour, Siberian. I was always fascinated by Siberia's nature and potential, it's just a shame that during communist era all the development took the "wrong way".
    beg, borrow and steal

Comment

Very interesting thread, thank you for sharing it. What is outside Moscow, we somewhat see very seldom
      Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

I would not lie , this looks terrible to me

Mano Flickr nuotraukos : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezziukas/sets/

--------------------------------------------------

Kiek rovė - neišrovė. Kiek skynė - nenuskynė. Todėl, kad tu - šventovė, todėl, kad tu - Tėvynė !!!

Comment

Thanks, Siberian The city center looks quite interesting with some fine prerevolutionary architecture
          Commieblockish area looks realy depressive
          Kaip po dykumą blaškiausi

Comment

Parašė Ežiukas
            I would not lie , this looks terrible to me
            Why? I don't think that situation in Siauliai is much better (except for modern architecture).
            Commies and new buildings look bad but I liked old architecture. Thanks for photos.

Comment

It's a shame I've never heard of this city. However, thanks for giving us an opportunity to take a look at this city. I agree with Vytauc - the blocks look really depressive (Šilainiai in Kaunas look wonderful compared to this)

I found the Museum building quite impressive. And the shopping centre looks quite small (at least compared to our "giants"), it seems that there's plenty of place for companies like VP market to emerge in Russia. Can you even imagine a city of 200 000 people without "Maxima"???
              BlogasSeulas 2009Honkongas 2012Bankokas 2012

Comment

Parašė Edd
                Why? I don't think that situation in Siauliai is much better (except for modern architecture).
                Edd, why don't you just go to Šiauliai just for one day and check it yourself?

Comment

Parašė vytauc
                  Edd, why don't you just go to Šiauliai just for one day and check it yourself?
                  I've seen both cities only in photos. While you saw Šiauliai in reality (even lived there) and Biysk only from photos. So maybe you should go to Biysk?

Comment

Parašė Edd
                    I've seen both cities only in photos. While you saw Šiauliai in reality (even lived there) and Biysk only from photos. So maybe you should go to Biysk?
                    I'll defenitely will some day But mind you- Šiauliai is closer to you than Altai, it's realy easy for you to see at least one of discussed cities

Comment

Parašė Edd
                      Commies and new buildings look bad but I liked old architecture. Thanks for photos.
                      I'm not saying that our cities are better (maybe in some ways ) . And i'm not big fan of "Orthodox" architecture . But I'm would surely want to visit such place as Biysk and Barnaul just in sake of turistical interest. But i Never would wanna live in such place Ne Ne Ne

Mano Flickr nuotraukos : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezziukas/sets/

--------------------------------------------------

Kiek rovė - neišrovė. Kiek skynė - nenuskynė. Todėl, kad tu - šventovė, todėl, kad tu - Tėvynė !!!

Comment

Thanks for replies!

Parašė Ežiukas
                        But i Never would wanna live in such place Ne Ne Ne
                        Actually, I never would wanna live in Biysk too, there is no perspectives and too small for me
                        The soviet part of the city is terrible, but the old part is nice and calm.

Parašė Ežiukas
                        I found the Museum building quite impressive. And the shopping centre looks quite small (at least compared to our "giants"), it seems that there's plenty of place for companies like VP market to emerge in Russia. Can you even imagine a city of 200 000 people without "Maxima"???
                        No!! It's just an example of new shopping centres, there is much bigger shopping centre in Biysk. But the shopping centres architecture is quite boring and similar to others in the world, so no need to show it. As for Barnaul, there is the shopping centres in plenty.

Comment

Thanks for the photos. Very interesting and unusual to see pictures from that part of the world.
                          You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Comment

Very, very interesting, Siberian, thanks for your pictures! Any unknown place in the big Russia is always nice to be discovered... sooner or later I have to go to Siberia!

Comment

Parašė vytauc
                              I'll defenitely will some day But mind you- Šiauliai is closer to you than Altai, it's realy easy for you to see at least one of discussed cities
                              I was trying to say that my comparison is more fair than yours because I've seen both of them only in photos. As for Šiauliai - maybe someday I'll visit it.

Comment

thanx for some unseen town pics, town have some very beutiful places ant some others buildings need renovation, but anyway thank you

Comment

Thank you so much for this thread, Siberian!

It is a privilege and a pleasure indeed to be able to walk with you through a never seen & therefore brand new city. :okay:

I was particularly struck by all the artful, ornate brick buildings. I always connected decorative red brick with Northern Europe -- I had no idea that there is a tradition of this art also in far away Siberia.

P.S. You talk about shopping centers. May I ask how that underground shopping center in Barnaul is coming along? I know you said you can't see much because it's underground but is there any news?
                                  Paskutinis taisė Whose Homepage; 2006.05.31, 03:27.
                                  Originally Posted by

Comment

Parašė Whose Homepage
                                    I was particularly struck by all the artful, ornate brick buildings. I always connected decorative red brick with Northern Europe -- I had no idea that there is a tradition of this art also in far away Siberia.
                                    But Russia is a Northern Europe country... with small displacement to the east

Parašė Whose Homepage
                                    P.S. You talk about shopping centers. May I ask how that underground shopping center in Barnaul is coming along? I know you said you can't see much because it's underground but is there any news?
                                    I wouldn't want to grieve you but there is no news on the project. There is glut of shopping centres in Barnaul already, in some areas 200% from necessary.

Comment

Very interesting series. Could You show part of map where the city is located?

Comment

OK, here is the map of Siberia. Biysk is located not far from Kazakhstan and Mongolia borders.
                                        Paskutinis taisė Siberian; 2007.11.30, 06:36.

Comment

Working...
                                        X