Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

Barnaul

This question is for the old SSCians
    What do you think about Barnaul? What the opinion formed about the city when you have seen my photo reports?
    And please don't ask because of politeness and don't flatter. I wanna see here the fair answers!

Thanks!

Paskutinis taisė Siberian; 2007.12.11, 06:38.

Comment

Hi, Siberian,

For me Barnaul is fairly prosperous and rapidly developing Siberian city. The city which still has some tzar times charm left. I like your photos from the old wooden parts of Barnaul most

Great picks, btw. What kind of cam did you get?
      Kaip po dykumą blaškiausi

Comment

Thanks, vytauc

Panasonic FZ30 - 8Mpix camera with 12x optical zoom!

Comment

Parašė Siberian
          Thanks, vytauc

Panasonic FZ30 - 8Mpix camera with 12x optical zoom!
          Well done IS should be quite useful

Comment

Yeah, 12x optical zoom is very useful!
            The pic was taken from almost 3 km distance. The image stabilization system works fine!

Comment

Ah Barnaul, right in the heart of Asia! Your climate is quite extreme, isn't it?

I'm sure Barnaul is lovely. However, I can't say I'm a fan of commieblocks.

Comment

@Pobbie
                The climate in Barnaul isn't so extreme. but the winter is cold and the summer is hot for sure.

Actually I'm not a commieblock fan too. I plan to post here more photos you will see that Barnaul isn't a commiblock city

Comment

Pobbie!

You obviously haven't been following Siberian's GREAT photo posts of his home town @ SCity. There have been many, and through his photos he has made me very fond of his home town. Barnaul rings several most mellifluous bells with me.

Thanks to Siberian's photographic skills I've seen quite a bit of Barnaul, both the new and the old, plus various construction projects. What always impressed me was the fact that not only were the old buildings GORGEOUS, but also that the new ones weren't boxy. I was also impressed by the wonderful building colors!

And now may I say it, Siberian: I'm just THRILLED that you got your new camera! And needless to say, I look forward to LOTS of Barnaul! I hope winter will be over soon for you as well.

P.S. That "almost 3 km distance" photo is amazing!
                  Originally Posted by

Comment

P.S. @ Siberian:

How is Anastasia coming along? I know it was one of the Barnaul projects and one I liked quite a bit when I saw it.

EDIT: now I look back at your opening question above, Siberian. I'll be quite frank. I didn't even know Barnaul existed until you brought it to my attention with your pictures.

Also, I found many of the recent buildings in Barnaul very attractive. It's well known that I usually have quite an aversion to modern architecture. Yet I found many of Barnaul's recent buildings quite handsome.

I hope to see many more Barnaul photos from you here!
                    Originally Posted by

Comment

Anastasia is on the #3, #4 and on the last photo.
                      It's nearly topped out. Thery're working at the facade though.

Comment

Thank you, Siberian! Please see my last edit.
                        Originally Posted by

Comment

Thank you some more, Siberian!
                          Originally Posted by

Comment

There is facade works at the nothern side of the Anastasia.

bonus pic

Comment

The last one looks kinda kitchy, but I still like it in some way

Comment

Yes, it's kitchy. The building was built in 2003. It was the time (2000-2004) when the most of new buildings in Barnaul were like this after the decades of dullness, sameness and boxing, remember commieblocks.
                                It was like rebirth of variety in architecture. Now the architecture became more composed and more professional Imho.

Comment

Parašė Siberian
                                  Yes, it's kitchy. The building was built in 2003. It was the time (2000-2004) when the most of new buildings in Barnaul were like this after the decades of dullness, sameness and boxing, remember commieblocks.
                                  It was like rebirth of variety in architecture. Now the architecture became more composed and more professional Imho.
                                  Thanks, Siberian!
                                  I see, Siberia isn't sleep...
                                  Very interesting, especially this building, "skazka kamianoj gory"))
                                  P1010344-webbig.jpg

Comment

/ @Siberian:

THANK YOU! You say that very nicely.

I agree, the red & white building you show last that people find a bit kitschy *is* a bit over the edge with all its many decorations and features (A-roofs, towers, three crowns ...) but, as you correctly state, it's a sign of enthusiasm and exuberance for architecture finally having put the bland, boring rectangular boxes with square windows behind it.

A charmer of a place in spite of being a bit overloaded! I remember it from your early photos over @ you know where and thought the building is just delightful, bursting out with fun features! Surely nobody could accuse it of being boring.

And Anastasia is coming right along ... I look forward to seeing that complex completed as well.

Btw, my very sincere compliments on your English!
                                    Originally Posted by

Comment

Parašė Whose Homepage

I agree, the red & white building you show last that people find a bit kitschy *is* a bit over the edge with all its many decorations and features (A-roofs, towers, three crowns ...) but, as you correctly state, it's a sign of enthusiasm and exuberance for architecture finally having put the bland, boring rectangular boxes with square windows behind it.
                                      Thanks, WH. Well said

Parašė Whose Homepage
                                      Btw, my very sincere compliments on your English!
                                      Thanks! But I still far from fluency in English

Parašė oranger
                                      Thanks, Siberian!
                                      I see, Siberia isn't sleep...
                                      Very interesting, especially this building, "skazka kamianoj gory"))
                                      ^^ Aha
                                      And Siberia isn't sleep for sure

Well as I see reaction here is OK.
                                      I have an idea to make thread about Barnaul architecture by thematic...
                                      For example:
                                      - wooden
                                      - pre-revolutionary (classicism, art deco)
                                      - constructivism (but I think there are too few examples of the style in Barnaul, Novosibirsk has much more)
                                      - stalinistic (actually I love the building of such style in Barnaul, they're differ from monster building in Moscow)
                                      - commieblocks (whatever it's a whole epoch )
                                      - kitsch (nouveau riche architecture )
                                      - present and new projects

But I plan to make it closer to summer...

Comment

Thank you, Siberian! And let me assure you:

1. I'm quite certain that Barnaul isn't asleep;
                                        2. I will warmly receive any and all photos of Barnaul you decide to share with us;
                                        3. I agree that perhaps it's a good idea to wait a while, and I can imagine why.
                                        4. Yet an occasional update on Anastasia would be welcome!
                                        Originally Posted by

Comment

Working...
                                        X