[Katowice]

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

[Katowice]

KATOWICE is the capital of Upper Silesia. History of the city goes back to the 19th century. It grew up in the times of rapid development of the mining and metallurgical industry. During the First World War Katowice developed as a trading and communication centre because of the boom in the Upper Silesia industry, especially in the metallurgy. In 1914-1918 Germans were defeated and Poland gained it independence. As a symbol of uprising ideas Polish artists had founded a bronze monument. The Monument of the Silesian Insurgents was erected at Rondo in 1967. Another traditional landmark of the city is Spodek - the show and sports hall. During its years of independence Katowice developed a lot. Architects managed to develop many of their town planning ideas. In that time Katowice where the second, after Warsaw, innovatory area in the country. The Second World War didn't stop Katowice being the capital of the most industrialized regions of the country. In the years 1950-1959 the number of inhabitants increased significantly, and its area was extended. Until 1975 Katowice had the ambitions of becoming a modern town, having as the example other metropolis. Katowice absorbed many neighbourhood towns: Piotrowice, Ochojec, Panewniki, Kosyuchna, Welnowiec, Giszowiec, Dabrowka Mala and Mucki.Nowadays Katowice is a nearly 4 million agglomeration the biggest in Central Europe. It's one of the Polish greatest economic, transport, science and culture centres. The city has a number of banks, stock-exchanges and self-governing institutions. Katowice is a significant science and education centre. There are nine institutions of higher education, among them the University of Silesia, Academy of Economics and the Silesian Polytechnic.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Thanks Delfin! Great nightphotos, what is this strange structure used for?:

Comment

Reklama?

Comment

Parašė Edd
          Thanks Delfin! Great nightphotos, what is this strange structure used for?:
          i guess it used to be a mine, now its shopping center

Comment

Comment

jega nuotraukos. autotrada Katovicuose keturiu eiliu i viena puse! nerealu
              o siaip manidomu kaip ten yra su ta Katovicu aglomeracija lyg ten susidarius? kiek ir kokie miestai ten ieina dideli, nes patys katoviciai tai Kauno dydzio. bent jau buvo.
              I nuotraukas pziurejus matosi, kad Lenkija toliau pazengus ir ekonomiskai labiau issivyscius nei Lietuva.

Comment

beje pats miestas ivairus ir tui graziso senamiescio architekturos, aisku ne Krokuva bet grazu irgi.

Comment

hee? please translate

Comment

Parašė Delfinas
                    hee? please translate
                    Ok, I'll try:
                    Parašė kaunaz
                    jega nuotraukos. autotrada Katovicuose keturiu eiliu i viena puse! nerealu
                    o siaip manidomu kaip ten yra su ta Katovicu aglomeracija lyg ten susidarius? kiek ir kokie miestai ten ieina dideli, nes patys katoviciai tai Kauno dydzio. bent jau buvo.
                    I nuotraukas pziurejus matosi, kad Lenkija toliau pazengus ir ekonomiskai labiau issivyscius nei Lietuva.
                    Translation:
                    Parašė kaunaz
                    cool photos. highway in Katowice has four lines to one side! unreal
                    btw I'm interested what aglomeration consists of? Which cities are included in that aglomeration, since Katowice on its own is of similar size as Kaunas. atleast it was.
                    From photos it looks like Poland is more advanced and economically developed than Lithuania.
                    Parašė kaunaz
                    beje pats miestas ivairus ir tui graziso senamiescio architekturos, aisku ne Krokuva bet grazu irgi.
                    translation:
                    Parašė kaunaz
                    btw city itself is diverse and has beautiful old architecture, ofcourse not Krakow but beautiful too.

Comment

thanks Edd, we used to say that Upper Silesia was motor of our economy, communists pomped big money over there, Katowice changed its industrial character and its really cool city underestimated like Lodz though

Comment

Kaunaz there are over twenty cities in GOP aglomeration, look at this map

http://zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl/~tst/katowice-area_map.gif

Comment

More info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katowice

Comment

Edd, labai aciu uz tai kad isvertei mano komentara

Delfinas, thanks for your answer :

Meier, aciu.

So, in wikipedia you can read that in aglomeration live more than 3 mln. people?!

Comment

some panos

Comment

Sadly Katowice is on all newspapers and TV these days for the terrible disaster there has been two days ago: 67 people have died there, really a sad day for Poland and all Europe.

Btw I've been to Katowice in summer 2004, it's an industrial town, surely not touristic or picturesque, but I liked it, there's great potential, surely commieblocks lovers will like it at once, but there's much to see there, not only blocks!

Comment

construction of DTS highway
                                  by Bula8

Paskutinis taisė Delfinas; 2006.10.23, 09:07.

Comment

Where will go this monster highway?

Comment

and hundreds more

Comment

Parašė liutass Rodyti pranešimą
                                        Where will go this monster highway?

its a highway connecting cities in Katowice aglomeration

Comment

Working...
                                        X