Belarus, March 2006

Collapse
X

• Filtrai
  • Laikas
  • Show
Clear All

Belarus, March 2006

This wasn`t my first visit to Belarus. This time I visited capital city Minsk, Gomel city and Gomel region in the south east of the country. I haven`t much time for photograpghy though...

OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission HQ in hotel Belarus - highest building in the center of Minsk

Svisloch river and Sports Palace

Hotel district - hotels "Yubileinaja" and "Planeta"

Hotel Belarus from Hotel Yubileinaja

Poster "For "Belarus" - this administrative campaign started in autumn 2004, unofficially promoting leader of the country

Typical voter information point in the countryside

Typical "back to USSR" information stand

Rogachov town, Gomel region

Rogachov, local power centre and territorial election commission, I experienced some brainwashing there during election night and met Olympic champion (1972 Munich) Nikolay Gorbachev

Candidates, not in alphabetic order, opposition candidate is in the far right side

Odd entrance into the polling station; signs "bar", "toilet", "wardrobe"

Polling station in the quiet countryside, it`s not allowed to take any photos inside

Soviet style fast-food eatery

Commieblock for everyone

Lenin kolkhoz

Each town and village has a club of its own - this was a brand new one

Authoritarian leader himself

Day after, City of Gomel (2nd biggest in Belarus)

Milinkevich - opposition leader

Ministry of Information and Ministry of Culture

Central Minsk, view from hotel Belarus - Afghanistan memorial, Old Town (that`s what`s left from it after the WW2), Palace of the Republic, October square and presidential residence - all in one

Tent city in the October square - first hours of 80 hour long protest

Founder of the KGB - Felix Dzerzhinsky - there are hundreds and hundreds of Dzerzhinsky and Lenin monuments throughout Belarus

Luka loyalist government and puppet parliament HQ in the (Soviet Belarus) Independence square

Minsk City council in the same square, square itself and underground mall is under construction now

Heart of the Old town

Hotel Belarus and Svisloch river from the Old Town

Central Election commission HQ - police officers ordered to erase this photo...

Typical grand Stalinistic architecture from the 1950s, two central streets of Minsk are monuments to Soviet 1930-1960 monumentalism

Tent city

Information has become a place (NSA)

Kāpēc vairot sāpes ? Lai labāk vairojas prieks ! (K. Skalbe)

Paldies par loti labas foto
    Mano galerija Flickr'yje

Comment

Very interesting thread, it seems that time has stopped in Belarus.

Comment

Aciu, Mari!

How utterly depressing ... although you bring a sense of humor to things.

Via est vita ... thanks a lot, but no, thanks! I reject their via because it leads to a miserable vita.
        Originally Posted by

Comment

Parašė Whose Homepage
          Aciu, Mari!

How utterly depressing ... although you bring a sense of humor to things.

Via est vita ... thanks a lot, but no, thanks! I reject their via because it leads to a miserable vita.
          Yes, actually centre of Minsk in the evening (contrary to grey morning) is not depressing at all, what`s most depressing is the political system there (I feeled more free and happy in Russia afterwards).

More interesting threads are coming - I will visit Konigsberg soon (never been there so far - need to close this gap).
          Information has become a place (NSA)

Kāpēc vairot sāpes ? Lai labāk vairojas prieks ! (K. Skalbe)

Comment

Wonderful reportage Maris, thanks a lot! And I look forward to your next visit to Kaliningrad, another very interesting place as well as whole Belarus... places where time seems to have stopped... but at the wrong moment!

Comment

It's always interesting to see pictures from rarely seen places.

These houses look awfully cute and just awful at the same time

Comment

/\
                personal commie
                Miestai ir architektūra - http://www.miestai.net

Comment

Nice photos I'm glad that Lithuania passed this sh.t

Comment

Parašė satama Rodyti pranešimą
                    It's always interesting to see pictures from rarely seen places.

Atvaizdas

These houses look awfully cute and just awful at the same time
                    I'd say dat they're apartments rather than private houses....u no how poor this country is like (no offense 2 Belarussians, i'm just telling the truth)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X